No doubt about it, survival cord and hunting knife are pretty useful most of the time. If you are spending time in the wilderness, keeping these two items can help you. Now, keeping both of them can be uncomfortable. That’s why you might ask how to make a knife sheath out of parord?
Yes, keeping a sheath paracord can help you keep both a hunting knife and the necessary supply of survival cord. And going DIY is always a great idea. Rather than purchasing some expensive knife sheath, create one yourself.
Today we are going to guide you with the process. We shall a number of ways you can create a knife sheath without any hassle. This way, you can get rid of any confusion too. Now, let’s get on with it.
- What do You Need For Your Diy Knife Sheath?
- How To Make A Knife Handle Out Of Paracord?
- How To Make A Knife Sheath Out Of Household Items?
- How To Make A Knife Sheath Without Leather?
- How To Make A Knife Sheath Out Of Wood?
What do You Need For Your Diy Knife Sheath?
The first thing you should know about making a paracord knife holder is the equipment. What do you need to create one easily? Well, we don’t need a lot of things anyway. Now,
a lot of people may ask how to make a knife handle out of 550 cords? The process stays the same. You can use these items easily for any 550 cords. And the length of the cords will be around 25 ft.
So, here is a list of things that you will need for your paracord knife sheath belt loop:
- Paracord is a must item
- Tape measure tool
- A good knife
- Lighter or any heating tool
- Electric Cord (The cord should be 1/8 in diameter)
How To Make A Knife Handle Out Of Paracord?
Now, we are going to guide you with a step-by-step process to make a knife sheath using paracord.
The First Step
For the first stage, you have to follow a sequence. For better understanding, we are using bullet points in each sequence.
- Measure the paracord and try to mark the paracord into 4 sections.
- Make sure each section stays 30 inches long.
- Now, melt the side of the paracord using your lighter or heating tool.
- Press the melted cord with the side of the knife to shut the melting side.
- The same process applies to the remaining cords.
The Second Step
Just like the first step, we are also sharing the sequence for the second step here.
- Now, cut a 12-inch long section from a cord
- After that pull out the interior core strands from the outer braid.
- Doing so, melt the end shut.
- Now, as the core is removed, the cords will remain flat.
The Third Step
The third step is much easier than the previous one. Here is the sequence for the third step:
- First, fold the 30-inch cord in half.
- Lay the cord side by side so that the creases remain aligned.
- You will find eight loose ends hanging side by side.
The Fourth Step
For the fourth step, you just need to follow some easy steps:
- Tuck the hollow cord under the leftmost loose end.
- After doing so, you have to turn your attention towards the next loose end.
- Keep your weaving until you have woven the hollow cord around all eight loose ends.
The Fifth Step
This is easier:
- Now, you have to wrap the cord back under the rightmost end.
- After that, weave the hollow cord back to the left.
The Sixth Step
After the fifth step, move on with the sixth step:
- You have to cut a piece of cord and make sure it’s 6-inches long.
- Now, fold the elastic in half and make sure you hold it so that the cords are over the weaved eight cords.
The Seventh Move
- Do keep your weaving of the cords
- Keep your weaving until the hollow cord has been woven
- Make sure the hollow cord is woven within 6-inches of the loose ends of the cords being woven around.
Step Eight is Next
- Make sure you fold the loose ends of the 30-inches cord until it meets the last row.
- After that, weave around the eight doubled-up loose ends.
- Do the weaving until you have woven down to the fold in each loose end.
- Make sure you remove the excess hollow cord.
- After removing the hollow cord melt both ends of the hollow cord to prevent unraveling.
- Now, you have to place the woven sheath against your knife approximately 1-inch from the top of the knife.
- After that, you have to wrap the whole sheath around your knife.
- Now, test if the loop fits over the knot to close the sheath.
- After that, you need to cut the 1-foot-long sections of paracord.
- Then, you must remove the core strands.
- Try to turn the sheath over and stitch it shut.
- Use the second hollow cord to stitch the sheath.
- Try to complete a second belt loop.
- You are finished with your weaving.
How To Make A Knife Sheath Out Of Household Items?
Now, if you want a sheath for your kitchen knife, the process is easy. Well, you can use cardboard and duct tape to create one. But here is a simple process to do the easy way:
- First, you need to measure the blade length and make sure each edge of the blades is measured perfectly.
- Try to flatten the tube or cardboard and pres until it becomes semi-flat.
- Use duct tape to keep the shape.
- After that, you need to wrap the length of the knife using duct tape.
- From here on, Double over the leather to create a belt loop.
- Use the duct tape again to secure the belt loop.
- Finally, take the paracord and run it through the belt loop.
- Now, use it for the handle as safe as you can stay.
How To Make A Knife Sheath Without Leather?
Well, you can just use duct tape to create a knife sheath. No need for any leather. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- First, print the measurement for your sheath.
- Now, you need to make a duct tape sheet using two pieces of the same length together.
- Now, cut the printed measurement and put it over the duct tape sheet.
- Use a hole punch to punch through the dots on the pattern.
- Use a utility knife so that you can cut the lines between the two holes at the top of the largest piece.
- Use a rivet to close the snaps.
- Tie a knot in the holes as close as possible and your sheath is ready.
How To Make A Knife Sheath Out Of Wood?
Making wooden sheaths can be very easy. Here are some simple steps to create your knife sheath using woods.
- Use three pieces of wood. You need two reddish pieces for the side and a lighter one for the center point.
- Put the knife over one piece of wood and use a pencil to draw the measurements.
- Make sure you draw a larger line over the real measurement for cutting it.
- Now, cut the inner margins.
- Use sandpaper or a utility knife to clean the wood.
- Now, you should use glue and a lot of clamps to joint the side parts with the center part.
- When the glue is dry, you should test whether the knife slides in or not.
- Seal the sheath using varnish or coating.
Creating a knife sheath is not that complex. You just need time to create it. No need to understand kydex sheath paracord wrap. Just follow our steps. So, how to make a knife sheath out of paracord? The process is quite easy.
It depends on how to make your DIY project successful. We have discussed them briefly. But you should get the hang of things from this content very easily. So, no need to wait, just follow our simple instructions and make your own knife sheath.