Leather and crafts are now much more advanced than before. The price of a single leather product is very higher than a regular product. So, it is very important to get a nice clean in every leather project. Without high-quality leather cutters, it is not possible to make a professional finish.
So, in this article, we have made a collection of best knife for cutting leather for you. The knives on this list are able to assist everyone such as designer, DIYer, a crafter in crafting and cutting leather. A knife makes the job easier; it ensures high quality in the case of finished products. So, you don’t want to make a mistake when buying leather cutting tools.
If You Want a Quick List, Check Our Top 7 Suggestions Below
- Beaditive High Precision Detail Craft Knife
- Tandy Leather Al Stohlman Brand Round Leathercraft Knife
- Banyour Leather Cutting Knife with Wooden Handle
- Leathercraft Knife – Skiving Leathercraft Craft Tool for DIY
- Round Leather Knife by Stamesky
- STAMESKY Leather Cutting Edging Knife
- Tandy Leather Industrial Knife Handle
- Best Knife for Cutting Leather Reviews of 2023
- 1. Beaditive High Precision Detail Craft Knife – 30 Degree Blade Utility Knife – Art, Craft, Model Making (Best utility knife for cutting leather)
- 2. Tandy Leather Al Stohlman Brand Round Leathercraft Knife (Best knives for cutting leather)
- 3. CJRSLRB Leather Knife, CJRSLRB Skiving Knife with Wooden Handle, Leather Edging Knife Leather Working Knife Leather Cutting Tools for DIY Leathercraft Cutting (Best Skiving Knife for Leather)
- 4. QMNNMA Leathercraft Knife – Leather Skiving Knife, Leather Cutting Knife Leather Working Knife (Best knife for cutting thick leather)
- 5. Stamesky Round Leather Knife. Doubled Edged, Rounded Knife for Leather Crafts (Best small leather cutting tool)
- 6. STAMESKY Leather Knife Cutting Knife Edging Knife with Wooden Handle. Leather Working Skiving Knife for DIY Leather craft (Best beginner knife for leather)
- 7. Tandy Leather 3595-00 Industrial Knife Handle w/Two Blades
- How to Choose the Best Knife for Cutting Leather?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Knife for Cutting Leather Reviews of 2023
1. Beaditive High Precision Detail Craft Knife – 30 Degree Blade Utility Knife – Art, Craft, Model Making (Best utility knife for cutting leather)
Each and every crafting detailing is possible to do with this high precision detail craft knife by Beaditive. It will help to make a fine finish in every project. It doesn’t matter if you are a professional or an amateur designer, you can finish every project with confidence by using this leather cutter.
Beaditive High Precision Detail craft knife includes a 30 degree sharp and strong blade. This blade ensures clear and fine cuts through the leather. This blade can also cut leather, paper, vinyl, cardboard, plastic, foil, and fabric with precision.
It includes a slider that can take the pressure up to 8kg because of the auto-lock mechanism. This can be helpful in preventing you from moving accidentally. There is a transparent clamp for the blades, which will make it easier to switch the blades. The anti-sway transparent clamp also increases the precision of work.
And finally, the triangle-shaped handle is quite lightweight. The handle is properly balanced and handled easily with both hands. It also provides a nice grip to complete fine to the finest leatherwork. If you are a starter or a professional and looking for the best utility knife for cutting leather, you should check it out.
- Clever design.
- 30-degree sharp blade.
- Ergonomic handle.
- Good knife at a cheap price.
- Auto-locking system.
- Gets dull quickly.
2. Tandy Leather Al Stohlman Brand Round Leathercraft Knife (Best knives for cutting leather)
Tandy is one of the most popular brands among the leather cutting brands. If you are looking for the best knives for cutting leather, you can keep faith in Tandy. Tandy Leather Al Stohlman is the most-used leather cutting tool nowadays which is round. The new round shape provides more versatility.
Simply round-shape knives are very rare. We like to use full tang knives. But the Tandy round leathercraft knife does not make any mess moreover, it helps to complete your cutting and crafting project effortlessly. The Blade is made of 4-3 / 8 ” polished stainless steel. The total knife weighs 3.98 ounces.
It seems heavier than the similar units in this price segment. But the heavyweight is not a big disadvantage, we thought so. The weight makes it a proper-balanced crafting knife. It can cut 8 to 10 ounces of leather smoothly without any kind of pressure.
The blade is very shiny polished. So, it enhances the look and feel of the knife. The handle of this knife also feels good. It provides a comfortable and safe grip during professional leather cutting. No matter your hand is very dry or sweaty, it doesn’t slip from your hand.
- Round shape stainless blade.
- Well-balanced leather cutter.
- Comfortable handle.
- Smooth cutting experience.
- Ideal for both cutting and rolling.
- Cost around 50 bucks.
- No protective case.
3. CJRSLRB Leather Knife, CJRSLRB Skiving Knife with Wooden Handle, Leather Edging Knife Leather Working Knife Leather Cutting Tools for DIY Leathercraft Cutting (Best Skiving Knife for Leather)
Banyour Leather Cutting Knife is one of the finest leather cutting skiving knives. You will find a list of skiving knives from Amazon for cutting leather. But we are here to check the best and top one. Banyour flagship is the owner of this place.
When a person thinks of a skiving knife for Leathercraft, this one comes to his mind first. The cutting edges of this knife are extremely sharp. So, you should be careful about handling it. It is not only suitable for leather but also handy for other materials.
You can use the edges for small and detailed operations. This knife includes a strong wide head of blade that can make detail and straight cuts. For this, it is the best skiving knife for leather.
The blade measures 2.76in*1.38in. This is the dimension of that wide head. The head is wide, but the weight is not so much compared to how the wide head looks. The whole knife weighs very light. So, it is easy to operate. And the hand feel of the wooden handle is fantastic.
- To-notch steel blade.
- Comfortable wooden handle.
- Wide head for pure detailing.
- Easy to sharpen.
- Suitable for leather cuts and other materials.
- Does not provide any additional sharpening tool.
4. QMNNMA Leathercraft Knife – Leather Skiving Knife, Leather Cutting Knife Leather Working Knife (Best knife for cutting thick leather)
Skiving leather is probably one of the most difficult skills you need to master in leatherwork. But everyone is not a master of leatherwork. In that case, a great skiving knife makes a huge difference in the quality of skiving.
You will feel it when you have a quality skiving knife. The high-speed steel of this knife provides long-lasting sharpness. The blade is 1.4” wide and 2.3” long. The full length of this knife measures 6.4 inches. The size of the blade is perfect for leather trimming.
It comes with a wooden handle. You don’t believe that we are a fan of wooden handles. Wooden handles look more professional and feel convenient during use. Steel or rubberized handles are good also.
But they don’t feel wooden because the wooden handle has a different taste. Overall, it is the best knife for cutting thick leather. The sharp, reliable blade of this gorgeous-looking leather edge knife dramatically enhances the quality of your skiving and is worth to collect.
- Perfect-sized sharp and reliable blade.
- Convenient for dual-hand use.
- Expert tool for cutting thin leather.
- Different color options.
- Good handling.
- Long-lasting sharpness.
- Cheap price and good quality.
- Need some stone or sandpaper for further sharpening.
5. Stamesky Round Leather Knife. Doubled Edged, Rounded Knife for Leather Crafts (Best small leather cutting tool)
There are so many users beside us who like small tools for cutting leathers. Maybe you are that person. You or your buddy for whom you are here searching for the best small leather cutting tool, we want to welcome you because you are at the right place now.
Because we have approved this round leather knife by STAMESKY in our leather cutting knife list. The STAMESKYleather knife is a double-edged rounded knife. It can do any type of leather cutting job. This knife includes a high-quality blade for clean crafting.
The manufacturers have used carbon steel instead of stainless steel. It is a total of 7 inches long knife, the blade length is 2.5 inches with a blade width of 2.4 inches, which is relatively shorter than other round knives.
The handle is quite good and comes in an eco-friendly shape. It is made out of hardwood oak and processed with natural linseed oil. It assists the user comfortably for long hours. Thin to big leather can cut with precision without any problem.
- Round and double edge knife.
- High carbon steel blade.
- Eco-friendly handle.
- Ease of use.
- Small and handy leather cutting tool.
- Long handle.
- Poor finishing.
6. STAMESKY Leather Knife Cutting Knife Edging Knife with Wooden Handle. Leather Working Skiving Knife for DIY Leather craft (Best beginner knife for leather)
This is another leather cutting knife from STAMESKY. STAMESKY is our favorite choice because this brand has lots of leather knives that are performing well in real life. It is the second rounded knife from STAMESKY on our list.
The STAMESKY leather edging knife is a total of 7 inches long knife, the blade length is 2.5 inches with a blade diameter of 1.5 inches. It is pretty smaller in width. A small blade is easy to control. The blade is made of carbon steel. So, sharpness is completely optimized here.
STAMESKY Round Edging Knife’s handle is a solid oak wood which makes them comfortable to hold for much longer if you have to do a lot of skiving. The handle is 5 inches long and gives the user enough space to adjust its grip.
It is completely eco-friendly. STAMESKY Leather Cutting Edge Knife’s is the best beginner knife for leather which is generally suitable for all kinds of leather shears, arts, crafts, and skiving.
- Lightweight round knife.
- Easy to control.
- Easy to use for people with big hands.
- Easy to carry.
- Recommended for beginners only.
- Long handle.
7. Tandy Leather 3595-00 Industrial Knife Handle w/Two Blades
We’re almost at the bottom of our list. But don’t you think that we have missed a leather cutter tool. What is this tool? You are right. It is an x-acto knife. The Tandy knife manufacturer is our first and last choice in the case of x-acto knife for leather.
If you pick its versatility, durability, and sharpness for ages, it may be your chosen knife for cutting leather from Tandy if you are fond of x-acto knives. It is mostly designed for professionals. Tandy Leather Industrial Knife Handles is a great tool to learn the professional craft.
It gets two blades. The first blade is a 5/16 × 2.25 inches, as well as a 7/8 inch radius and a narrow dot. The second comes with the same measurement. The difference is the second blade features a straight grind on a slanted edge. Each blade is useful for a different purpose – the former is more suitable for details.
Here the stainless-steel blade is sharp and durable enough. The handle material is also good, made out of walnut. It has solid brass jaws and ferrule for years of durable use. This knife weighs only 2.78 ounces – hence its popularity for its fine detail work. All in all, it is a great leather pattern cutting knife for professionals.
- Add two blades.
- Solid and durable blade material.
- Good quality handle.
- Ideal for cutting leather patterns.
- Ensures fine detailing in every cut.
- Not a good choice for beginners.
- May need to buy extra blades.
How to Choose the Best Knife for Cutting Leather?
There are some mandatory subjects you should follow when you do not know how to buy a leather knife. Don’t miss any of the subjects.
The most important aspect of any cutting tool is that it must be effectively sharpened. You may be surprised to hear that the dull knife is the most harmful tool for a leather worker.
When using a dull knife, you need to apply extra pressure when cutting leather, which can decrease the fluency of the work. Dull knives also do not cut the leather cleanly with ugly, uneven spaced edges. You better get the right knife in advance and prevent such problems.
Type of Knives
Choosing the best craft knife for leather cuts also needs planning. You have to choose a knife considering your craft. Everyone has their own different cutting strategy. Some do detailed work, on the other hand, some specializein straight cuts.
If you are new, you cannot get optimal leather cutting tools without experiment. There are different types of knives are available for leathercraft such as round knife, skiving knife, swivel knife, x-acto knife, utility knife, and so many options. Fiskars scissor is also a good tool for cut leather.
There are more material types are available in a leather knife. Stainless steel is a common material among them. A good quality stainless steel can perform better.
If your budget is less than 10$, then you can go for stainless steel. If your budget is around 20$, try carbon steel material. The best material is ceramic. It is more durable than steel and provides more accuracy than any material. Ceramic blades can work perfectly at low pressures.
There are not many factors behind a handle. You just need to find a comfortable handle that won’t slip while you work. You don’t want the sharp blade to slip and cut your skin instead. And, the handle should not create any pressure on the palm of your hand.
The length of a leather knife depends on the project. You require a long knife to clean and straight-cut leather work. But a long knife cannot perform well in fine and detailed work. Moreover, the handle of the leather knife is not very long like classic knives. In that case, you will not have any big problems.
You require more tips for leather cutting. Flat tips help you in a small linear cut. On the other hand, tiny and sharp tip provides delicate and detailed work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can a knife cut leather?
Ans. A knife can cut leather, but classic knives are not suitable for a leather cut. There are many options to cut leather such as utility knives, craft knives, rotary cutters, wide head knives and so many.
Q: Can I use an Exacto knife to cut leather?
Ans. Yes, you can use it. Tandy Leather Exacto knife is a great tool for leather cutting. A full overview of this knife is given in the above portion. Exacto knives are great knives for professional leather craft.
We highlight the 7 best knives for leather cutting. Beaditive High Precision Detail Craft Knife is our primary choice. STAMESKY and Tandy are the best options for the round leather knife. For professional craft and learning professional work, no x-acto knife can be better than Tandy Leather Industrial Knife Handle.
This article provides the best list for cutting leather and crafting. If you need more knives like survival or bushcraft knife, pocket or a boning knife, frankly visit our website all about knife. We assure you that you will get the best suggestion ever.
Most Popular Posts: